EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Pensmaster

Crossing the Road
Jan 10, 2014
Northern California
The NPIP tester will be here at 9 AM to blood test my birds. My adult numbers are way down so as far as that goes it should be easy to catch all the adults.
The issue I'm concerned about is that the 3 broody hens have 13 chicks less than a week old that may get trampled when all hell breaks loose.
I may get a ladder out and black out the dormer windows.
:fl

Akrnaf2

The educated Rhino
Jul 5, 2014
Center of Israel
Nice Benny. What’s the best material to use as a wrap for handle. I’d like to wrap the handle on that meat cleaver I found it has very good balance and works well.
In my opinion for a heavy cleaver, you need something with good grip, I think that a strip of thin leather will do. ( I don't tell you search for Shark or stingray leather which are the best.... the Samurai katana had stingray leather wrap..... :lol: )

ChickenCanoe

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I'm not too worried. I blacked out the windows already and the hens should be easier to catch now in the dark without trampling too many chicks. I think I'll do them first, get the chicks out and then I'll only have to catch a rooster and 4 hens.
That's the fewest I've ever had tested. Only birds over 4 months of age need to be tested. In the past I've had as many as 6 buildings of birds tested. After that fiasco, I get my numbers down before September every year. All the rest of my birds are 3 months or less. There are maybe 50 chicks here. Another just hatched this morning. I hope that is the last one. I'm ready to move on with the next phase and clean out everything, incubators, hatcher, room, etc..

Last edited:

ChickenCanoe

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
In my opinion for a heavy cleaver, you need something with good grip, I think that a strip of thin leather will do. ( I don't tell you search for Shark or stingray leather which are the best.... the Samurai katana had stingray leather wrap..... :lol: )
Are you talking about leather for the handle for as a strop for sharpening?

ChickenCanoe

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
For the handel.
A couple years ago we had a chef's knife custom made for my son. Among other metals I could be wrong but I think the guy uses railroad rails for blades.
Anyway, to sharpen, he is only supposed to use a leather strop with a little diamond dust on the leather.
At Ford, we used to use sections of train rails to make anvils.

Akrnaf2

The educated Rhino
Jul 5, 2014
Center of Israel
A couple years ago we had a chef's knife custom made for my son. Among other metals I could be wrong but I think the guy uses railroad rails for blades.
Anyway, to sharpen, he is only supposed to use a leather strop with a little diamond dust on the leather.
I don't think that the rail, they don't have to be hard steel (=hige carbon content)because they have to have some flexibility in them.
Usually the spike that they use to fix the rail to the big chunk of wood is used for bladesmithing.
The leather is not use for sharpening it is use for honing the blade AFTER that the blade was sharpened. It is more fine tuning the edge.

Pensmaster

Crossing the Road
Jan 10, 2014
Northern California
As kids we had a piece of rail to use as anvil but wasn’t shaped like one.

Top Bottom