EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

BullChick

Enslaved by a Duckling
Premium Feather Member
Apr 17, 2012
Coffee shop in zone 5
Not that anyone but my sweet Westley noticed that I was gone, but it looks like it’s safe to return. I hope. :oops:
Let’s see... Duckling was exposed, but is out of quarantine now, and here. Yesterday we moved the single strand of currently working lights to her baby pine, and the quail pen. To be honest, I had them there a week ago, but it wasn’t working out at the time.
The coops are wrapped and covered for the winter. I never had to cover a window in the big coop, but the roost was raised, and it’s right in front of a window. The window opens up, and outward, and the glass broke out when the frame fell apart.
Duckling beat me at basketball. I cheated to get 100 points, but she knows that she actually won 54:3. Maybe four. I lost track of how many baskets I actually got before I began holding her by her overalls so I could get the ball. :lol: I also threw rotten tomatoes at her. Well, we were playing baseball. One splattered her when she hit it. Her mouth was open, and I just couldn’t stop laughing! She was amused once she spit out the nasty stuff.

Pensmaster

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jan 10, 2014
Northern California
Built a new makeshift brooder out of cardboard/foam insulation and heat mat for plants. Last heat plate came in too small to trade for larger group of chicks and is in use now anyway.
5 chicks due tomorrow and on towards Christmas varying times.
The Pita Pintas are finally laying again.

Nigel27

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
Which one!?
@Nigel27
How did you hatch go?
I’ve had three recently, the first went ok considering the incubator problems. I realize now to incubate blue and white eggs separately from brown eggs due to porosity. Got thirteen but 9 are cockerels. The last two batches went great, 18 and 20. And one late set egg that went through a 20 hour power outage just hatched!!

BullChick

Enslaved by a Duckling
Premium Feather Member
Apr 17, 2012
Coffee shop in zone 5
Which one!?

I’ve had three recently, the first went ok considering the incubator problems. I realize now to incubate blue and white eggs separately from brown eggs due to porosity. Got thirteen but 9 are cockerels. The last two batches went great, 18 and 20. And one late set egg that went through a 20 hour power outage just hatched!!
Have pictures?

Top Bottom