EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Group broodies = trouble. My group didn’t end up hatching any. Not for their lack of trying. I didn’t monitor them as the nest wasn’t easy to reach, and eggs were being moved constantly.
Normally I put each broody in their own apartment, which has always worked quite well.
I wasn't in a position to do so this year. Since my numbers were down I decided to rebuild 5 housing units and replace another building with two more breeding buildings. Plus it was the end of my self imposed hatching season, I wasn't ready for so many broodies and incubating eggs.
As soon as all these eggs are done, I'm going to be repairing, disinfecting and winterizing the incubators. They all need new door seals and one incubator isn't heating. I have new parts for them. Then I should be ready to start hatching in January or February when chicks from earlier this summer start laying and the surviving hens kick in again.

Last edited:
Hello all, its a soaping kinda day here, waiting for the oils to cool.
worked on a felted order for eye glass cases for an order.
I love working with wool, needlefelting more so than wet felting for sure, But it helps with cash so I make what they order.

119744002_3333263416765785_7142456183207595182_o.jpg 119915432_3333259960099464_728449446369817953_o.jpg

Hello all, its a soaping kinda day here, waiting for the oils to cool.
worked on a felted order for eye glass cases for an order.
I love working with wool, needlefelting more so than wet felting for sure, But it helps with cash so I make what they order.

View attachment 2340456View attachment 2340457
Looks good Sally.
Today is repair coop day and try to get squirrels from digging under edge of coop. Old chicken wire rusted out and they have been getting in to eggs.

Normally I put each broody in their own apartment, which has always worked quite well.
I wasn't in a position to do so this year. Since my numbers were down I decided to rebuild 5 housing units and replace another building with two more breeding buildings. Plus it was the end of my self imposed hatching season, I wasn't ready for so many broodies and incubating eggs.
As soon as all these eggs are done, I'm going to be repairing, disinfecting and winterizing the incubators. They all need new door seals and one incubator isn't heating. I have new parts for them. Then I should be ready to start hatching in January or February when chicks from earlier this summer start laying and the surviving hens kick in again.
I still need to clean the incubator from last hatch. I’ve moved 31 meat chicks from brooder into their coop today. And now the brooder needs cleaned. Never ends.

Back
Top Bottom