EE chicks,... 3 weeks old.. pictures

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by karlamaria, Oct 17, 2012.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    pretty sure its to soon to sex,
    One is growing the tail out fast, the other very slow, these chicks are now 3 1/2 weeks old.
    both have been outside with mama since day 3 and all day and all evening. why is it they can be out there in the cold and when we buy chicks they need all that heat? I have not once seen mama have them under her during the day, just night time. and its cold here, windy and cold already. today is 44 degree's, soon to be below zero !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Cute chicks! It's definitely too soon to tell, I have a couple of 5 1/2 week old chicks and I still don't know what to think about the EE. There are some good threads here to read while you wait, though [​IMG]

I too was amazed at how hardy my chicks were growing up with a broody hen vs. in a brooder. At 3 weeks old they were out running around when it was 30F and snowing; I offered them a heat lamp (since their mother was molting) but they showed zero interest in it. I can't believe how low maintenance these chicks have been. Broody hens are the best!

1 person likes this.
  3. Cute! The one on the left (1st pic) looks like a roo...

4. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Those are going to end up being very very beautiful birds - I already LOVE the colors!

1 person likes this.
  5. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    thank you, I hope they turn out to be pretty. there parents were weird colored.
    I was wondering that to, you mean the darker one? Just my luck I guess.

6. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    yes darker one looks to be roo but cant tell for sure :)

7. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Ok, so I took more pictures today and was wondering how they look as far as gender .... any way to tell yet?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    They are still young but I would say the darker one is a roo based on the redness in it comb. The lighter one looks like a pullet.

9. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I could kick my self now for not keeping the 9 chicks and giving them all but these two away. they were as pretty or better, but my kids picked these two out. there so pretty, I wished I kept the others as then I could keep the pullets and give the roos away. I jumped the gun [​IMG] did not want to end up with to many birds, now I am sad as I could have had eggs in the spring . if only one is a girl then she will be the odd girl out. the roo will have to go. Oh well my hen goes broody every other month, I can get her to set on eggs again in march.

10. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    thanks, the little girl is so pretty, Im hoping for the elusive blue egg lol. I get green ones now but a pretty blue would be awesome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by