EE Chicks from Ideal

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mylilchix, Jan 10, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

So I'm sitting here placing my spring chick order, and I was wondering how the quality of EE from Ideal is? I have an EE from Privett, and she lays brown eggs [​IMG]. Very disappointing!! I'm wondering if Ideal's chicks are have been better producers of the elusive blue green egg? If they aren't any better I'll try my luck with a local hatchery.

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I won't know until my bantam EE's get to the point of laying which is gonna be a long time lol. I will say i am impressed with how good they look.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  3. mylilchix

My Privett hen is a beautiful chick, too. She had the most beautiful eyes, she looked like Cleopatra as a chick. She's still one of my favorites, but I was really sad that she didn't lay blue green eggs.

Sonja

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    A couple days ago I ordered 10 EE's from Ideal. They are being shipped March 23, add another 25 weeks and I'll let you know if they lay green/blue eggs. [​IMG]

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

do you know what the chances are that an EE will lay brown eggs instead of the colored? I have just recently gotten into the EE breed and am still trying to figure out all the genetics, etc about them... [​IMG]

6. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    I have 2 EEs from Ideal. One lays blue/green eggs, the other lays green eggs with blue tips. I'm very happy with them.

7. samapp

samapp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2008
    Mississippi
    I have 4 EE hens from Ideal. They lay a light blueish green and a darker green egg. I ordered 5 EE pullets, but one turned out to be a roo.

8. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i had good luck.. almost all of my EE from IDEAL lay green eggs (green/blue) i gave a few to my friend one lays pink the other lays green... one i sold, i just heard she is laying green... and one of mine is laying a VERY pretty OLIVE green color.. and the 2 in with my marans are laying green.. and the pretty white EE in with my OEG is laying green/blue

i was happy with my whole order from "ideal" this year... with the xception of thinking they were ameracaunas and they are really EEs..
    i was UNHAPPY with mcmurray this last year....(for the first time ever)

9. mylilchix

Thanks for all of your advic. I think I'll try one from Ideal. I put my order in this morning. I'll also get a couple from a local hatchery. She hatches ameraucana from breeders, so I'm hoping they'll lay pretty eggs.

I know that EE are a mix, but I don't know what genetic trait is behind what color egg they lay. I believe that larger hatcheries have the EE, and you can get true ameraucana from breeders who stick to the breed guidelines.

Sonja

10. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    I was told that if your EE'er has a single comb it will lay pink or brown eggs. If they have a rose or pea comb it will lay some degree of blue/green eggs.

Now, is this an old wives tale? Dunno. I do know that it holds true for my six EE'ers.

I have one hen that has a regular single comb and she lays a beautiful pink egg with mauve speckles!

The other girls all have small pea combs and they lay varying shades of green eggs, from olive to almost turquoise.

I would love to hear if this holds true for other peoples EE'er hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by