EE chicks

crooked stripe

Songster
12 Years
Jan 14, 2008
N.E Ohio- Suffield
Are Ameraucana chicks know to be skiddish? I have 6 that no matter how much I handle them and pamper them run and jump every time I approach. They are now 2 weeks old. My BO's and BA's where very laid back.

I have my first, and they were raised by a broody hen until 2 weeks old, but I've had them over a week and they fight with all their might to get away from me. Some settle after being held a few minutes, but they sure are scared. I'm hoping that a few more weeks will settle them down some.

Our EEs were pretty skittish as chicks, yeah. One of them developed quite a reputation for making daring escapes from our sinister clutches
roll.png
Another seemed so frightened to be picked up she would close her eyes and just sit very still. They did get much better as they got older. Those two are now fairly friendly, although the third EE we have is still kind of skittish.

I think at that age, most are a little bit scared. Try going from under to catch them. Lay your hand flat in the brooder (or where ever) maybe with some feed or treats in it and let them see your hand flat. When you pick them up, just slide your hand under their belly. Seeing this big thing coming down (your hand!) at them makes the flight instinct kick in and they try to run to safety.
All of my chicks went through this, they soon learned and everything was fine, all of mine are very friendly even now as adults!

Patience and love..that's all it takes for them to love you back......oh yeah, and occasional treats!!

Last edited:
Ours are not lap chickens either, and don't care to be held or caught. But they will come to you once you're properly associated in their minds with friendliness & treats. I had one who would fly up on my shoulder, but she didn't want to be held or petted.

We've always found chicks to be skittish no matter how much we handle them. They don't start to actually like people until they're feathered, out in the yard and getting treats. And there's always variation. I have an Ameraucana that loves to be cuddled, and one that runs away as fast as she can. One of my EEs is named "Roadrunner" because she's almost impossible to catch.

I have 2 EE chicks...8 weeks old. One is very very skiddish and has always been the hardest to catch out of our 17 chicks. The other is a bit easier. If we put our hands out with treats, they will eat from our hands, but they're very hard to catch and hold.

My chicks seem to be the opposite of what I ordered them for. I thought the EE's and Silkies would be the friendliest and cuddliest, while the Leghorns and RIR's were ordered strictly for egg-laying, not personality. Wouldn't you know, my #1 friendliest bird is Layla the Leghorn!!! Opal (BO) and Rocky (RIR) are tied for 2nd...

Both sets of our chicks (last year's and this year's) have acted like we were going to murder them every time we put our hand in the brooder, too, and we have a wide variety of breeds.

Our older girls have mellowed significantly (treats are magic for that!), but we've found that our Buff Orps and Speckled Sussex seem to be the ones who like us most.

Last year's Easter Egger chick turned out to be a roo (and a real %^&#, as well), and this year's handful are only a month old, so I don't have direct experience as to how Easter Eggers will mellow, but I can definitely say that their behavior will change as they get older, and you never know who will turn out to be the lovebugs!

Back
Top Bottom