1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ee comb question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kesta, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    ok ive seen pics of ee pullets whos combs arent very big, just red. i have an ee pullet who has a comb just like many of these. face is red and so is comb the comb just isnt very big. so in ee chickens do the combs not get very big or something? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Crown? If by crown do you mean the Comb? I guess it really depends 1. on the bird 2. genetics. EE's have a Pea Comb, but I don't have much knowledge on combs and their sizes. I do know that Pea Comb birds fair better in cold temperatures because they don't get frostbite on their combs.

3. Kesta

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    oh yeah comb duh! [​IMG]

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Because an EE is a cross breed, they can really have any type of comb. However, the pea comb, when it looks correct on them, is a very small, tight to the head type of comb. They are excellent for cold climate and do not get frost bite easily.

5. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Their comb stays very small. Here's a couple of pics of my hen whose been laying for months now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Kesta

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    oo then mines a lil over 4 months old and will probably start squatting soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by