EE egg issue *updated necropsy photos*

Sounds like she's ready to go out LOL

I try to leave mine with their flock unless they are just getting picked on.
With reproductive issues, I've found that some hens can "feel better" for a little while, then go off again, only to repeat. Wax and Wane. I keep tabs on them and check them out too, but sort of leave them to their own devices as well.

I've decided to cull Rainbow today. She had initially perked up but has since regressed the last few days. Her belly feels more full and still no eggs. 😕 I found her in the coop today unable to walk, just hunched over like she was miserable, poor thing.
I'm going to open her up after she's dead and we'll see what was going on.

I've decided to cull Rainbow today. She had initially perked up but has since regressed the last few days. Her belly feels more full and still no eggs. 😕 I found her in the coop today unable to walk, just hunched over like she was miserable, poor thing.
I'm sorry Isa. Please post pics of the necropsy so we can all learn with you.

Sorry Isa :hugs

Gross necropsy photos

Clearly very underweight with a swollen abdomen
20230320_130315.jpg

Fluid started gushing out as soon as I sliced through the first layer of skin
20230320_130400.jpg

Yolky bits started coming out when I enlarged the incision
20230320_130731.jpg

HUGE yolk mass
20230320_130838.jpg

20230320_131054.jpg

20230320_131310.jpg

Gross necropsy photos

Clearly very underweight with a swollen abdomen
View attachment 3437777

Fluid started gushing out as soon as I sliced through the first layer of skinView attachment 3437782

Yolky bits started coming out when I enlarged the incision
View attachment 3437786

HUGE yolk mass
View attachment 3437787

View attachment 3437788

View attachment 3437789
Wow! I've never seen anything like that. I'm glad she isn't suffering anymore, that must've been horrible. And I'm sorry you lost her :hugs

Thanks, Duckie. I probably should have put her down a couple days ago but she was one of the favorites and it was a hard thing to do.
Oh I know that feeling. But I always look at it as 'You did do the right thing, even if it was a bit delayed. It was faster than insisting she go naturally.'

Sorry for your loss, that is tough - you did the right thing.

We had an Easter Egger go out the same way a few years back. It all started with an egg within an egg - literally a fully formed egg, with shell, in another larger egg shell. From that point forward, she was internal laying to no end. It was like a freight train of yolks had stacked up inside her. She had to be culled.

Of course, she was our favorite. Such a great hen.

Her sister has made it to 6 years now, however, she has always had different forms of laying issues off and on. I truly believe genetics are a contributing factor a lot of times, especially with hybrids/Easter Eggers. We are constantly watching our EE/hybrids for symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom