EE Eggs Completely Covered with Gray?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SueBaby, Aug 22, 2011.

1. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Is it normal for an EE egg to be completely covered with a gray coating? I thought my EEer, Blondie, laid a gray egg until today when I noticed that the gray rubbed off of the refrigerated egg (our fingers rubbed off the condensation from being in the fridge) and underneath it's very olive colored. I've heard of eggs having a chalky coating, but this was not too chalky and it completely covered the color underneath. Will this gray covering go away with time? She's only laid 2 eggs so far, and she's our first layer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. Chickenmenagerie

Chickenmenagerie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    My EE does that too. Sometimes faintly brown, other times hazy gray. Must be "bloom" related - I am curious to see if anyone really knows.

3. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    just to add to the strangeness, we wiped off all of the gray and put them back in the fridge. But by the time my hubby came home and we wanted to show him both "olive" eggs they had turned back to gray! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  4. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    I just learned this the other day as mine just laid her 3rd egg today! [​IMG] BLOOM The coating or covering on the egg shell that seals its pores. Bloom, also called cuticle, helps to prevent bacteria from getting inside the shell and reduces moisture loss from the egg. Eggs are washed before they are sent to market. This is necessary for cleanliness, but it removes the bloom. To restore the protection, packers give the eggs a light coating of edible mineral oil.

5. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Quote:RIGHT! Just the bloom,you can use soap and water and a soft tooth brush if it is a stubborn bloom if you want to see the color! Congrats on the beautiful egg! My BR gives a lot of bloomon hers, only the speckled tip isn't really covered, really unique and pretty! Congrats again!!! yahoo loop pool!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by