EE Eggs

Txwingnut

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 25, 2012
Blossom, TX
my chickens started laying and Ive started eatting... It sure seems to me that the shells are much harder to crack than the store bought eggs. Dont think its a problem cause they sure taste good, just an observation. Anyone else notice this?

Definitely. I figure it's one sign that my chickens are healthier than the ones who lay commercial eggs. Also, I believe colored eggs actually have an extra layer -- it seems like I read that, but wouldn't swear to it!

I noticed that too, and like flockwatcher I also believe it means they are healthier. It kinda of makes sense, if a chick is going to grow for 21 days sitting up the body of their big mama they need some good protection!! I also think that store bought eggs have thinner shells because the chickens are producing eggs as fast as possible. So maybe thinner shells means a faster process

Or a poor diet. I got some eggs from a friend who let his hens free range, but he kinda let them fend for themselves and didn't feed them well. Their egg shells were so soft, I crushed a few when I wiped them clean! My hens got terribly spoiled and had access to more greens than they could ever eat. I've had eggs bounce of the side of the bowl when I tried to crack them.

LOL, I fell one time with a hand full of eggs, they went rolling, not one broke. I was curious about this. I have always just assumed. Assumed that free range hens eat a better, healthier diet, have access to more fresh air, sunshine, exercise, blood flow, healthy "mind" healthy body and all that. And while yes, all ranges are different, the things that the hens have available varied, it still only makes sense that the eggs (in general) would be stronger (to me, that says healthier).

One thing to note, the older an egg gets, the more fragile the shell, so regardless, factory raised, pen raised, or free ranged, older eggs will get softer, no matter how hard they started out.

Back
Top Bottom