EE hens not laying yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spookyone, Oct 28, 2011.

1. spookyone

spookyone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Hi, Well, my EE hens are not laying yet. They was born on May 10th of this year.With colder and shorter days ahead will I have to wait till spring?? I did see my rooster with one today but I think she got away and ran away before anything really happen. All other hens are doing good. Goldern comets, black rosecomb, the 2 white hens and even our one silkie are laying. Are they{EE} seasonal layers??

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There are people with faster maturing breeds, hatched in April who are still waiting. The EE is a mutt, no offense intended, and no one can be completely sure of the breeding, but most folks do not expect an EE to be an early layer. They are only 5 months and a few weeks old. It is still early. Use a little pre-dawn light on a timer to extend the light a little bit, feed them well and then, just sit back and wait. That's all you can do.

3. lollysmom

lollysmom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    My EE (hatched April 15) just laid her first egg yesterday. I had almost decided she was never going to lay!

4. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Mine are a week older than your, and are no where near laying. Mine are still slender, comb pale, not even a hint of squatting. I would be surprised if mine even lay this year, I am shooting for spring. If I get one before the year is out, I will be surprised. My roo has not even gone near them, except to chase them. He is too busy with my BR & BO, 6 down & three more BO to go. My Light Brahma's are even bigger than my BO, and they are a month younger than them.

Good Luck!

5. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Mine were born on April 6 and they only started laying with the last two weeks. But the beautiful array of colored eggs are worth the wait!!!

6. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have 5 EEs that were born April 19th and only 2 of them are laying. Really pretty blue/green eggs though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by