EE is a terrible layer...

susanah

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2009
She's turned 2 in March. Layed off and on for a while...but she's always been the worst out of the 4 hens we have. Of course she
had the prettiest olive green eggs. They all pretty much quit during winter (even though we are in FL). And when they started up again we got a few eggs out of her
and she has quit again. Haven't seen one in a couple of months. Is she deficient in something or in some other way unhealthy? Or is
this just normal for some birds. Could she be done already at this age?

Last edited:
My EE is a notoriously poor layer, as well. She is flightier than my other birds and seems to respond to any stress by going off lay for a few days.

That being said I would check yours over for possible health problems because it is not normal to have them stop laying in the spring for no reason. They should be laying at their peak right now. I would do a bug check and a poop check. Worms or bugs may debilitate a bird to the point where they stop laying if either is present in large quantities. Could yours be molting or going broody? At 2 years old she may be gearing up for a molt. Could you be getting eggs eaten by something or could she be hiding them on you?

These are the biggest reasons I can think of for a hen going off lay, but here is a copy of the sticky from the top of this section of the forum. It may be helpful to you in determining what is going on with your EE.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=423023

Good luck.

Not broody, not molting, gave her wormer about a week ago just in case. Still no eggs. She looks healthy.
I think she's just doing it on purpose. She overheard us say we might get rid of her if she starts laying again,
cause nobody wants a hen that doesn't lay.
barnie.gif

If you just wormed her, she may be a little stressed by that. Did you check for external parasites? They are really hard to see and can cause them to stop laying. All of my EEs lay very well, in fact, they're some of my best layers. If you don't find any bugs, I would watch for egg eating. Whether it be her or a predator. Good luck!

Not going to happen at our house. They are my 11 year old daughter's pets. But she's not the
friendliest chicken anyway, so I was hoping we could get her laying again and then give her to
someone who wants a laying hen. I'd get in trouble giving her to someone for dinner.
smile.png

I have 2 EEs...same age (got them as chicks at the same time). They are now 3.5 years old (4 yrs old in October). One lays great still (3-4 eggs a week). The other one is horrible. She has laid 2 eggs or so this entire spring. Last year she laid from about May to August and then took the rest of the year off. It really depends on the bird. They aren't bred for high production...just pretty eggs. And being a mixed breed, it's a craps shoot as to how well they will lay. We love Pia...she is a sweet bird and one of our friendliest....and crappiest layer. She'll die of old age here since she is a pet with(out) benefits.

I would definitely rule out any health issues (including internal laying), but it may just be that she is a poor layer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom