EE not acting like herself

Karuh

Chirping
Jun 26, 2023
My Gwennie has been laying around a lot the last 3 days. Her feet look fine and she walks around it’s normal but very brief and then just lays downs. She lets me just pick her up with running off or even getting up. And she just lays in my lap. (Definitely not her normal) I felt her crop it’s mushy and the size of a a golfball? Vent looks fine. Unsure about her poop. No distress just laying around and sleeping. I recently had a broody hen hatch some chicks so I switched from layer feed to chick starter feed. All my other chickens are fine. Thoughts?

She is an Easter egger, 3 years old and I haven’t gotten an egg from her in months
71130682480__E7ED208E-7549-4A16-98F1-13D0AC958A9D.jpeg

She could be showing signs of a reproductive disorder. Crop problems can go along with those or happen on their own. Try giving her miconazole cream orally twice a day or use Nystatin (Medistatin powder online to give in a little water orally.) Feel of her crop early in the morning after she has not eaten or drunk anything overnight. Note any sour or bad odor from her beak when you gently push on her crop. Be careful handling the crop when it is full and puffy, since it can cause vomiting and aspiration.

Pictures of her poop may be helpful. Is there any enlargement of the lower belly between the legs? Has she lost any weight when you pick her up? I would offer her some wet chicken feed and a little scrambled egg. Water added to her food can add fluids to her. Here is a good article to read about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She could be showing signs of a reproductive disorder. Crop problems can go along with those or happen on their own. Try giving her miconazole cream orally twice a day or use Nystatin (Medistatin powder online to give in a little water orally.) Feel of her crop early in the morning after she has not eaten or drunk anything overnight. Note any sour or bad odor from her beak when you gently push on her crop. Be careful handling the crop when it is full and puffy, since it can cause vomiting and aspiration.

Pictures of her poop may be helpful. Is there any enlargement of the lower belly between the legs? Has she lost any weight when you pick her up? I would offer her some wet chicken feed and a little scrambled egg. Water added to her food can add fluids to her. Here is a good article to read about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Attachments

• IMG_2122.jpeg
    IMG_2122.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom