1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE not putting on weight ~ UPDATE ~

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LittleFeat, Sep 8, 2009.

1. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    [​IMG] I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't put my hands on it... My 3 week old EE is not gaining much weight compared to the other chicks I received at the same time. She acts healthy but also acts VERY hungry but seems to just run around chasing whatever any of the others have. I've supplemented 2 days now with hard boiled egg yolk but have given it to all of them and they've all gobbled it up including her. I'm going to give her one by herself tonight. Is there something else I should be considering? She just acts like she doesn't really want the chick starter. I feed Sunfresh Start and Grow. She does eat but just seems to be getting thinner.

Any advice? Other supplements? (tried plain yogurt but none would eat it)

I could get another brand of food Saturday if you think that might help?

Well after watching her quite a bit tonight, she eats really good but I think she may just have a problem with the
    feeder. If I put the food out on a paper plate she scarfs it up. I think I might just be a little bit of a worrying old mother hen! I think I'll just be sure and give options for feeding other than the small jar feeder and see what happens.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. warmwater

warmwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Hi, I have 6 EE's that are 3 wks old. I have them on chick starter/grower. When they were a day old the chick feed was to big for them especially my littlest one I named "Grasshopper." So I put it in my little food processor and ground it into a powder....they ate great.....I still grind it up just not so fine to let them get use to bigger pieces a little at a time.

Maybe the feed is to big for your little chick...she doesn't like it....try grinding it down or smashing it into littler pieces. Hope this helps your little baby.

I also read on here that you can add water to a little of the feed and make it moist....maybe she'll eat it that way.

3. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

She may be shy. Are the others making her feel intimidated maybe, making her afraid to eat with them? She may just be the runt or the lowest in the pecking order. Just keep putting her in front of an open space and stick her beak in the feed. She'll probably get the hang of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by