EE pullet or cockerel?

jacriswell

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 18, 2014
Emory, Texas
Once again, chicken experts, I need your help. I have two chickens that I'd love to know gender on. I'm estimating on their ages. The black and white one is 3-4 months old. The multicolored speckled one is 5ish+ months. They both have scraggly beards and ear tufts. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Hmmmmm... I'm hedging for both cockerels. I know there is minimal comb as yet but both appear to be sporting sharply pointed neck hackles and pointy long thin tail coverts. Hope I'm wrong though if you are looking for pullets.

Ehh the first one looks like a pullet to me, I can't tell about the last one. I'm going on experience from combs, I can't really see the last ones comb.

His comb is wide and completely flat, not raised at all. Tried to bribe him with apples for a better pic, but this is all he would grace me with
hmm.png

He could be 4 mos and the other 3 mos? I didn't write down when I got any of them except the FBCM and Cream Legbar, so I really am guessing
tongue.png

That's what confuses me-feathers on neck look pointed, but up close they're round (just finer tipped?) As they get older, do these change to true pointed feathers, or are these misleading?

The black and white one is a pullet. I had an Easter egger just like that one. She laid a blue egg. The second one is tough. My gut says cockerel. Good luck!

EE feathers often look pointy at the neck.

Back
Top Bottom