EE pullet, swollen face, tiny slits for eyes ??? pics

Are the gnats really bad there? I was just reading about how their saliva carries infection. I've had three chicks and one hens face swell up from gnat attacks.

Thanks everyone, for your replies! I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner, I worked a double shift yesterday, 8am-midnight as we are short handed at the correctional facility.

No one is pecking at her, she knows where the feed and water is and she snuggles to her "sister" pullet while they constantly talk to each other so she's being looked after when I'm not there. I think the raw spot is where it burst on her comb from the swelling. I've noticed that happens on dogs and cats, when there is too much swelling.

No seezing, no other symptoms, she hasn't slowed down any except for not able to see as fully as she normally does. I do have topical benedryl or 25 mg of benedryl so I'll start w/the topical.

CMV: I believe your hen passed out because benedryl makes most beings drowsy;) I'll remove my girl while she's got benedryl in or on her because while she's sleeping, I don't want anyone to think she ripe for pecking on because she most likely won't wake up enough to move if they are curious about why she is just lying there.

No smell, no other signs, and the only insects so far since we have had a foggy, cold start to summer (still lots of ice in the Bering Sea and snow on the tundra), plus rain, are spiders so she may have had a bite from one of those.

Thanks so much again, everyone, she and her sister are hatched from my BLRW hens (only 3 of those) and a black EE roo because I do not have a BLRW roo. As a side note, I was trying to increase my flock of BLRW's but with the long distance and iffy weather, no luck so far w/viable eggs shipped so these two lil girls are special mutts to me. Thanks, Cheryl

My poor pullet is still the same, not as in the first pic, but now as in the second pic...I have no clue as to what she has or if its contagious. She's been segregated, being kept in a large coop by herself, she talks very sweet when I'm in there w/her and she knows when I pick her up and set her down that she just needs to dip her beak and that is where her feed is. Again, no smell, no sneezing, no foam, no other symptoms at all...

I have not changed my shoes when I feed and water all the coops and pens, no others have her strange symptom, Thankfully! Anyone that has had chickens for a long time ever seen something like this???

I would give terramycin eye ointment a shot, see if that helps. By the time a few days go by you should start to see an improvement. My hen is finally starting to get better after a few weeks. I hope for the best for your hen
hugs.gif

The disease is finally manifesting itself, its pox, bloody scabs, the greyish warty protrusions...it seems worse than when her face and ears were just swollen, she isn't eating as much as normal, today. Thank God no one else in that coop has shown any signs so far! It is an older coop I inherited from someone, I cleaned it out in February of 2008, all seemed fine with a seasonal deep clean once a year and monthly cleanings of bedding, deep litter method while they have outdoor acccess 24-7 all summer until its too cold outside and they get closed in for the winter.

I'm going to try a strong solution of clorox to sanitize all the coops, especially the one where the problem started and the one she is in now, by herself.

I need to re-read up on pox...I had just ocnvinced myself yesterday that it couldn't be that, because the pics didn't look like her until today! I have not tried to open her mouth to see inside yet, nor touched her poxy areas, only held her by the body/wings close to the body to move her to the feed and to take a close look at what her face looks like, daily.

Now I'm worried about biosecurity...I'm throwing out my coop boots and have washed the tennis shoes in clorox with laundry soap, aired them in sunshine to dry. I have no idea where or why she has pox unless it survived in the old coop and her immunity weakened for some reason. It looks so terribly worse than when any of my five children had chicken pox -I know its not the same- but she's got it bad!

Can you change the title of this thread so that others will now know what you're dealing with and leap in to help?

Some pics would also be helpful now that the disease course is in progress.

I'm not knowledgable enough to help you myself, but you need to attract the right BYCers to read this post... and here's my wish for you of the very very best of luck
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom