EE Roo with RIR, BR, Buffs and Leghorns

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by denco5, Mar 1, 2011.

1. denco5

denco5 Songster

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    I have a EE Roo with real dark green legs. If he fertilizes the eggs of my leghorns, RIR, Barred Rock or Buffs will any of the EE be seen in the chicks? Or will the breed of the hen outway the EE in him?

2. denco5

denco5 Songster

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    This is him when he was small, he is all white or off white, his name is vanilla

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

With my WL/EE chicks some had beards and some didn't, small combs, and they seem to be laying pale blue eggs.
    My EE roo:
    [​IMG]
    The WL/EE birds:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  4. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Songster

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    It's hard to say what he is carrying genetically, since most EE's are mixed themselves, but it wouldn't be surprising to see the muffs, and the green legs show up in the next generation. It's also hard to know if he's dominant or recessive white, so you may get lots of white chicks or none at all.

Each parent contributes 50% of the DNA, so it's a matter of what genes the chicks get in the shuffle, and what is dominant. Total crap shoot.

BUT, you should end up with some cool mixed babies. If any of the chicks are pea combed like their daddy, it's quite likely that they will lay green eggs.

5. denco5

denco5 Songster

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    thanks for the info, you guys are great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: