Ee Rooster To Rough???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GARYZZ1, Jun 5, 2011.

1. GARYZZ1

GARYZZ1 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    My EE rooster is 11wks. old , he crows great , he`s a looker, best of the 3.The other 2 roo`s do not back down from him at all.He likes to grab the girls(12) by the neck and they squeal like a pig.(he is not trying to mount them).The other 2 get along great with girls.(they are all the same age).Is this the norm or should I~~~ YOU KNOW ???

2. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    Chickens naturally pick on each other to form what is called a pecking order. This is to show rank much like that wolves or dogs do. It is needed to establish a healthy flock.

However, if they are getting bloody or missing large amounts of feathers, then something may need to be done. You may need to get rid of him if things get bad.

3. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Out of 4 young roos my EE was the prettiest, most aggressive and most unliked...and he picked on everyone relentlessly. Then he ripped a hole the size of a nickel exposing spinal column in one of the girls and then he was BBQ. I have one Chocin boy left who appears to be a rapist and the girls are all running from him and his chasing, mounting attacks all the while the girls screaming. Im stumped. Mine are now 4 months old. I so badly want a wonderful roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by