EE Soft shell eggs and too skinny

My EE had almost identical symptoms. Soft shelled more often than solid shell. Even giving TUMS didn't help.

She didn't have worms though, she had a reproductive problem which first showed itself by a lash egg. We didn't get that many lash eggs and got her onto antibiotics but it was sadly never fully resolved. She lived very happily and actively for about 7 months after we spotted the lash eggs (either in nesting boxes or sleeping area) and died very peacefully.

So because you've found worms, that may mean the problem is now sorted but just keep an eye out for lash eggs. They will eat them if you leave them, so spotting them first is important, and getting treatment early is vitally important to their chances of longer term recovery.

Good luck.

Thank you! I'll keep an eye out! We check where she roosts every morning before all the girls wake up (we're up around 4 and they're not up and around till 5:30 most days). I haven't seen any lash eggs (I had a production brown that had a few lash eggs and then a vent prolapse so that was no fun). She's just laying soft shell/no shell. Unfortunately the last few days I haven't seen any egg from her at all. I'm starting to wonder if she's hiding them or if she's gone off lay from the stress 😔. Hopefully it gives her system a good amount of time to recover and get some strong eggs in the works later.

Back
Top Bottom