EE still not laying.......

I was hoping it was the short days and nothing else. My 2 birds have never crowed, so I hope that Muffin (the EE) is not a roo. My laying hen, Moonpie, is dominant between the two. Moonpie started her laying rt before the day light savings changed over, and she has been a consistent layer. But, I can see where IF Muffin isn't ready to lay AND the days got short- you are most likely right and she may begin in Spring. I was hoping to be able to share more eggs with my family but they can wait! My mom wants us to send some her way....
When I chose the chicks out of the group, i picked them bc they were the most interesting looking first, then I tried to do a little 'sexing' based on what I had read online- I tipped it over, gave a little light squeeze, and peeked to see if any male parts were visible. I was sure there wasn't, and took them. I have a daughter who gets attached to pets- I couldn't afford to get some chicks and have to give them away (we live in the city, and no roos allowed)
I know Muffin is the one not laying bc Moonpie always sings a song and goes into the same place to lay everyday. I have never seem or heard Muffin do the same. My yard is small, and they don't have too many places to go- so if they did any of these things, we would hear/see them. I am a teacher and am home during Thanksgiving break and will be again for Xmas.

I am never planning on hatching eggs from these 2 hens, we pretty much got them for pets/eggs. 2 is our limit, they leave enough compost for me!~

Thanks for all the great informational replies!
I always learn something on this site:)

Back
Top Bottom