EE The pea comb now has 3 rows. Do I have a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Omah09, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Omah09

Omah09 Out Of The Brooder

This is Elvis, my 18 week old Easter Egger. Is he definitely a rooster?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    My knowledge of EE's is very limited so I'm not guessing, but I just want to say what a beautiful bird. [​IMG]

3. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Hmmm, comb says roo, but no saddle feathers. The feathers on the back say pullet. I'm curious too...

4. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    At 18 weeks... with no saddle feathers, hackle feathers or curved, pointed tail feathers makes me believe you've got a pullet with an unusual comb.

5. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    Not necessarily. My EE's comb got all puffy and red at 8 weeks, and she started laying at 20 weeks. I don't really see any pointy saddle feathers, so I'm inclined to think pullet? Very very pretty bird, whatever it is. I'm kinda jealous...

6. Omah09

Omah09 Out Of The Brooder

Thanks. The uncertainty is driving me crazy because I can't keep a rooster. I guess I'll have to wait for either an egg or a crow.

7. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I'm positive that's a hen! It would be obvious at 18 weeks if it was a roo; she's just getting close to being ready to lay. Gorgeous bird!!

8. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I can't see no rooster! [​IMG]

9. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    That's a hen, no doubt. Female coloration. No hackle/saddle feathers.

Lots of beautiful EE girlies you got there [​IMG]

10. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    I have five EE's with that comb and they're all laying now....I tried to sell one as a roo, glad I didn't have any takers! Had 3 really pretty boys so nobody called on the black one....thankfully because I get a beautiful blue egg from her!

Edited to add that I looked closely at all five of my girls that have similar combs tonight and really only one has that distinct 3 comb, and she is the one that lays a pretty blue egg. It's merged more then it was but the others have turned more into a traditional pea comb but I do remember counting rows on them when they were younger, trying to figure it all out.

I'm learning to just wait for the egg or crow......

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by