EE with straight comb?

sgtmom52

Birds & Bees
12 Years
Jun 1, 2007
Northern York County ~ Pennsylvania
This is Billy Gibbons my 10 week old cockerel. I am not sure what his mix is. I believe him to be an EE due to the green legs and impressive beard, but am a little confused with his comb. My understanding is that EEs typically have a pea comb. Does anyone have any guesses on his heritage?

P1100634billy.jpg

P1100869billy.jpg

P1100523cropped.jpg

Yes it is possible for an EE to have a straight comb. Chances are he does not carry the blue egg gene, which is linked closely to the pea comb.

I have a lot of EE's and the one's that have a variation of pea comb mixed with straight comb all lay brown and pink eggs.

Quote:
It would be a shame if he doesn't carry the blue egg gene. He may have to find a new home as I ended up with a lot of cockerels in this hatch and some have to go. I am waiting a little while yet to decide who stays and who goes.

Would that chick happen to be from me? lol

He's a looker! Wow. Love the beard.

I was going to say if he is from me he is an EE/Brahma. But I just realized they have pea combs too.
smack.gif
Silly me.

He is an EE mix of some sort for sure. A cutie too.

We have had several straight comb EE's all laid mint green eggs never had one lay a pink or brown(no matter the comb) only we have one now a true Ameraucana Delaware cross from our stock that lays green and she's single comb screams Del with a beard.

Quote:
Yep ~ Billy is from one of your eggs. He is really a different looking guy. He has the nicest beard and his legs are a bright green. No feathering on the legs either. I went back an looked at the pictures you had up on the auction and could only find one chicken that had a straight comb, the buff colored mixed one.

I'll have to get send you some newer pictures of the rest.

Nope. I betcha he is a lydia chick. You can see her in my avatar.
wink.png
See the family resemblance.

Wait no. Cause I have no single combs roos. lol. Okay. Then I bet it's a chick from Meanie, Lydias brother who looks just like her. And then one of my single combed hens. I have had another one or two ee's born with single combs that were full blood. So it's also possible one is carrying that gene. No clue which one though.

The pictures are darling. I will reply later. But I'm off to work now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom