EE x white Leghorn cross??

Tala

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Benton (Saline County) AR
If I were to cross a solid white EE roo who is half Ameraucana and supposed to carry the blue egg genes with my white Leghorn hens, would I get white babies that would lay colored eggs?

I did search and didn't find much info on this cross.

well let me tell this i have a black naked neck hen and she lays brownish eggs and a blue andalusian hen and she lays white eggs and my ee roo, i hatched some eggs,and i got a black naked neck hen and she lays green eggs and a i got too a blue hen and she lays blue eggs

I'm pretty sure I can get blue eggs from their kids then -- IF the roo has the right gene of course (since he doesn't lay it's hard to be sure lol)

Quote:
I'm no genetic expert but I have caught on about the egg coloring thing

brown egg layer + EE roo = green eggs because you are putting blue egg over brown egg
white egg layer + EE roo = blue eggs because blue + white still still makes blue

OK well that sounds like good news for my egg coloring idea!!!

I'm not a genetic expert, but I always got the gist on here that White Leghorns would always throw white feathering genes, so if I crossed the white roo with an always-white hen I figured the babies would turn out white too.
Worth a try anyway!

If your rooster has a pea comb then he should pass on the blue egg laying gene to his daughters. This is what happens quite often when you breed an EE to a leghorn - you get these whites with black patches. I think it has to do with the exchequer gene BTW they both lay big pale blue eggs.

20345_img_0618.jpg

20345_img_1632.jpg

Quote:
Yep, pretty much anything crossed with white leghorn hens produces white offspring with black spots.

Do you have pics of the eggs?

I have presently and have hatched in the past EE roo x white leghorn hen crosses and while some chicks may hatch as solid yellow they rarely ever stay that color. Usually as they mature they get other color variations in their feathering. I've not seen a cross that stayed solid white.

I've got 9 little ones right now that are the same cross and I am anxious to see how they look when they grow up
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom