Eectric fence to keep dogs and other predators out?

GoChick

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Last edited:
Hi,

We have been using:

201975 PoultryNet™ Plug-In Energizer Kit

201945 PoultryNet 12/48/3 KIT (48"x164'), double spike

Doing well so far. Easy to move around. Glad to have the double spike version.

Still in fine shape after two years in service.

Make sure to follow directions on how to fold up netting and it is easy to put away and later redeploy.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
I have been using Premier poultry fencing with deer netting over the top. So far predators have not been an issue. When the ground is frozen or covered in snow the fence does not work well.

Thanks to both of you!

I guess I'll go ahead and order today!

Cheers!

I have no experience with that kind of fencing, but use "old school" hot wire to keep my dogs OUT OF the chicken pens and IN the yard. Works like a charm and isn't expensive.

Am too lazy/dialuppy to have gone to the exact links you showed, but if they are for electronet (which, given other posts and the fact they're Premier links, I bet they are?) I would say "yes, within reason and with limitations".

You seriously need to keep the grass under the electronet scalped down to almost bare earth, i.e. move it and mow (actually I use a stringtrimmer) whenever you get more than about 1" of growth, which in some seasons may mean "frequently". You seriously need to tie back the corners because it is very sag-prone and blows over easily as well. It is basically useless in wintertime. You need to check the fence daily with a GOOD (digital) fence tester to make sure you are still running sufficient voltage to keep out dogs (at least 4,000 v). And then, remember your chickens are still at risk from hawks and are not always smart enough to refrain from flying over the fence and getting et.

That said, if you want a portable fence that both discourages chciken mvmt *and* is fairly good vs dogs, then this is a good choice.

Alternatively, if you do not need the portability aspect, you would be better off putting up a permanent fence with one or two intelligently located hot wires, around the area the chickens will roam in, and call it good. This requires vastly less maintenance, and can easily end up the same price even if it's a larger area (depending what sort of fencing you may already have there).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I have a 164' poultrynet that I've had for a year now. I use the IntelliShock 20B Energizer with 12v battery with solar charger. I bought the solar charger two months after getting the fence since I got tired of having to bring the battery into the garage to charge it. Since I got the solar charger, I have not had a need to charge the battery (by plugging it in) since last summer.

Permanent fencing was an original option for me but then I figured the chickens would scratch through all the grass in their run so I would eventually have to seed the area and rotate their run to a different area. Glad I went with the poultry net. Mine has double spikes on the bottom and I did get extra support poles, so I have a pole every 6 ft'. I understand they now have a netting called PoultryNet Plus which has a support pole in the fencing at 6 ft intervals. The extra support helps.

They also have amazing customer service! They will assist you with any issues you may have getting everything setup, though it's relatively easy.

Thanks Pat! I can ser how a permanent fence would be cheaper, but that's not an option right now, as we plan to move the coop in the fall and probably move the chickens around once or twice before that.

Buckeyefever, I went ahead and ordered it from Premier today! You're right, wonderful customer service. I bought a stronger energizer, not solar as we have electricity going all the way to where we'll be installing.
I saw on your signature you lost a chicken to a coyote- I hope it happened before the fence??

Thanks all for the input!

GoChick, I lost her when she flew over the fence and wandered off. I hadn't clipped their wings because I wanted them to have the most methods to escape a predator, as possible. However, that worked against me and did not help her.

Back
Top Bottom