Eeeeekk!! Bugs in the feed!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blueberrychickens, Sep 23, 2011.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    So I went out to clean the girls today & to replenish their food in their feeder since it was low, but not quite empty yet. Went into the house to get their pellets & some scratch for them to snack on. Both bags were basically empty w/ only enough in them for todays feeding & snacks. So I lift the bags out of the metal trash can they are stored in & lo & behold I see itty bitty buggies crawling on the outside of the bags! [​IMG] So I looked closer to the feed I just scooped out & it too has these same itty bitty buggies on it, & same goes for the scratch! Now I'm talking TINY bugs, smaller than a comma, & there was quite a few of them. [​IMG] ..... so my question really is, should I just give it to the girls anyways, since they've probably already eaten some of these bugs, or should I just toss it out & start fresh??? I mean they are chickens & chickens do like to eat bugs..... [​IMG]
    I have to go to the grain store anyways today since I'm out of food for them. BTW...both bags were kept in the same metal trash can in the original bags.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Feed it. The chooks will enjoy chasing down the "extra protein". [​IMG]

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    They'll be fine. They eat bugs anyway.

4. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    I would definitely still give it to them, they love bugs. As long as the food is not moldy or wet it would be good to feed. I use DE (food grade) in the coop to keep it dry and the bugs down. If you can get your hands on some I would say sprinkle it around in the cans and the food- should clear up the bug problem. Search out Food Grade DE on this forum- could be your answer. Good Luck!

Trish

5. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Ok, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by