Eeek! I have a rooster!

Rennyrat

Hatching
9 Years
Feb 21, 2010
I have a flock of 10 chickens, but this morning I heard a rooster crowing. "What?" I thought to myself, "I thought you couldn't have roosters in this neighborhood."
That's when I realized it was Whitey, one of my "hens". He's a rooster! I was starting to wonder.
Anyway, any suggestions on what I should do? He has gotten really aggressive with the other hens, and I'm okay with him leaving to a new house, maybe I should make a post on Craigslist.
Thanks for any suggestions. I'm in northern CA, if anyone is in the neighborhood and wants a
beautiful white rooster with green feathers out the back. I can post a picture later if you want to see him before you pick him up. lol

welcome-byc.gif

If you can't have a rooster where you live, best to post him on craigslist or similiar advertisment.

I personally adore my roosters and would keep them even if I couldn't keep my hens.

If you post on CL with a free rooster, you will likely get many takers. Post it in the farm & garden section (not pets, as chicken people don't tend to look there). They will most likely eat him. If you don't want that to happen, then you are in a bind. I have been in that bind myself as I get attached to my animals, and went through enormous trouble to find a home in the country for him where he could live with some nice girlfriends. I did find a good home for him but it took a lot of work. I asked everyone I knew who had any connection to country folk if they knew of anyone looking for a rooster and I lucked out one day and I drove 2 hours to bring him to his new home. You could also try posting at feed stores located in rural areas.

Try this one on for size Rennyrat...We bought 4 "hens" this summer...now all but one has turned out to be a rooster...Sooooo
he.gif
Mad... the sad thing is...We got 4, one for each of my daughters, and one my husband and I share...guess whose chicken is the hen? yep, mine and my husband...so, now I have put up a sign at the agway in our town...and an add in Uncle Henrys. Of course I don't want them to be eaten (they are friendly right now) but we can't keep them...poor Harriet the Hen....We are keeping one...the most friendly one...ticking off two of our daughters, it's not the first time they have been ticked off and it won't be the last..lol

Amy

Back
Top Bottom