1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Effect of diet on egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by :D, Jul 31, 2008.

1. :D

:D New Egg

Apr 18, 2008
    I have heard that changing the diet of your hens effects the taste and colour of their eggs. Is that true? and how long after a diet change would you notice a difference in their eggs?

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I have noticed changes in Miss Chook's eggs by the third egg after a change usually. Ed: Hers are white, though, so that's only size, shell thickness, albumin density, yolk color/density, shell texture, and egg taste.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I have read that it could be days up to one week before you will notice. I noticed a big change in my eggs when I had to quarantine 2 of my hens for 30 days.

4. plfreitag

plfreitag Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2007
    wright city mo
    Garlic and onions can give the eggs a nasty taste. If you give the girls leafy green stuff and plenty of veggies the yolks will be a nice golden color instead of pale yellow. Mine like cukes, zucchini, strawberries, yogurt, cottage cheese, potatoes (especially baked and then let to cool on a cold day), malt o meal, cream of wheat, or oatmeal in the winter, fresh dandelion greens, cabbage, tomatoes, squash, bananas, and about anything else I will feed them.

Trisha in MO

5. :D

:D New Egg

Apr 18, 2008
    Thank-you all so much. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by