Effective Egg Catcher design for nest boxes

Mike_B

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 2, 2009
CT, USA
I think something is eating the eggs from our five chickens. Quite possibly, the chickens are eating them. I've seen commercial hen houses on the TV where the eggs roll out from under the birds and are carried off by conveyor belt. Is there a design here that collects the eggs without breaking them, that attaches to the nest box, and keeps them out of reach? I'd rather have the eggs vs. chicken dinners.
Thanks!
Mike

If your nest boxes are built on the outside of your coop, I would venture to say that something is possible. Dont know about a conveyor belt like the one on the show which I seen as well but something more localized like under the nest boxes might work.

There is a post with a roll out design nest box, built by Opa on this forum. It is really cool and goes step by step making it easy to follow, many people have pics. Search for roll out nest box plans or Opa roll out nest box and see. Good luck!

Quote:
I second this! The roll out nesting box is AMAZING!! Your birds are definitely eating their own eggs. It happens. Opa has really good step by step instructions on how to make his roll out nest box. I think his design could be converted to use externally if you got a bit creative. I'm building an external box and didn't think about using a roll out nest. Didn't occur to me until much later in the building process. But I've already figured out how I'd do it with my external box if I need to- I think converting what you have wouldn't be too hard.. No fun having your eggs eaten and made a mess by the hens before you can get to them.

I had a problem with hens laying on the floor. when one started they all started! I would find a dozen eggs in one corner, all filthy!
I built this box and put it into the corner. it worked because they could see anyone elses eggs.
107654_img_2954.jpg

107654_img_2956.jpg

I like this design Hensofhallora. It gives the birds something to jump up on to get to the nest from within the coop! It's something I can add on to my homemade nest box. My birds like to do some "nesting" within the box with the wood chips. I imagine the chips cannot be used in the "roll out" design. Are these floored with carpet?

Back
Top Bottom