Egg ‘caved in’ before hatching?

Ness44

Chirping
Mar 3, 2020
Hello all,
I feel very sad to say that I lost an unhatched duck today, my miniature appleyard gave up on her eggs so I popped under my broody chicken to finish the process. I noticed one had a small crack but otherwise looked ok. A few days later I found the egg caved in on one side, about quarter of the shell was broken but a very thick and somewhat dry membrane still in place. There was a little blood and yolk leaking from a tiny hole so I have to assume it’s died? I’ve never had hatching eggs before so completely unsure of what I’m looking at, am I right? The others are all still intact! Please help with any comments :) sorry I haven’t got a photo but I had to remove it as I wasn’t sure if it would be bad for my hen to leave it there, was I wrong?? 😳 :(

Hello everyone! So today these 5? (I think it’s 5) have arrived! Mummy duck made a hidden nest in some nettles, she is crafty! I have built a makeshift pen around to protect them and put a wooden shelter at one end in case they want it. My main question is, if I put a plate of chick crumb in there, will mummy duck happily eat it too or should a put a separate bowl of pellets in for her? The other two eggs under my chicken are yet to hatch but I’m feeling positive 🤞🏼

Attachments

• 79033400-8C8F-4D51-9AD9-74140836A0F9.jpeg
    79033400-8C8F-4D51-9AD9-74140836A0F9.jpeg
    548.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 418A0DDD-CBA8-482C-A8B2-1050F8A0926D.png
    418A0DDD-CBA8-482C-A8B2-1050F8A0926D.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 5
Also, anyone know if the colouring helps tell the sex? I was wondering if the yellow ones were female and the darker male maybe?? X

Congrats on the ducklings! My mama duck is eating chick crum along with her ducklings. I also add a tablespoon of nutritional yeast to each cup of feed I give them since chick crumb doesn’t have near enough niacin for them.

Congrats on the ducklings! My mama duck is eating chick crum along with her ducklings. I also add a tablespoon of nutritional yeast to each cup of feed I give them since chick crumb doesn’t have near enough niacin for them.
Wonderful! They all seem quite happy 😊 thank you for keeping an ehe on my post, I’m new to ducklings so any advice is most welcome! She has one egg intact, I think I’ll give it another day and then move them all to a more secure inclosure, we have cats and a pup so I’m mindful of their safely, would a shallow pool be a good idea? X

I wouldn’t give them anything they can climb into an possibly chill or drown. Unless your right there to watch them. I’d def get them to safety it’s just to scary all the predators who are around including our own pets.

Back
Top Bottom