Egg allergies - can duck eggs be used?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by equine623, Apr 13, 2009.

1. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Maybe this is a strange place to post about an egg allergy [​IMG] My daughter has lots of food issues, and chicken eggs is one of them. They make her sick (but not anaphylactic) and I have been able to find varying reports of whether duck eggs would be ok or not.
    I'm not looking for a definite yes or no, just opinions or "in my case..." so I can decide what I want to do about trying some.

In the meantime if anyone needs recipes that are cow dairy, egg, gluten and corn free - well then I'm your girl to ask [​IMG]

2. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    My guess would be no on the duck eggs. I believe (though I could be wrong), that most egg allergies can be attributed to the albumin. Which would also be present in duck eggs.

Good luck. [​IMG] Food allergies/senstivities can be tough!

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Yes on the duck eggs.
    I will qualify that with
    "in most cases".

People with landfowl egg allergies often tolerate waterfowl eggs well.
    I have a large number of peopl who bought my duck eggs because they could not eat chicken or turkey eggs.

4. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:Interesting! I suppose it's like cow's milk and goat's milk...some can tolerate goat's milk even if cow's milk gives them trouble. Goat's milk still has lactose, casein, etc., etc., but it's different...Cool. [​IMG]

5. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    I am leaning towards trying them. Egg is one of her mildest reactions. With cow dairy she will become violently ill...like projectile vomiting, but she can handle goat cheese. Same concept of proteins, etc, but different species. So I am hoping this may be the same thing.

6. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Poor little thing.

My mother has the same allergies, but she did not start getting seriously ill from them until she was in her 30s.

On the bright side, my mom looks ten years younger than me, since she eats such healthy foods!

7. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Intersting subject! My sons 2 and is allergic to eggs (go figure,since that's what we eat the most) we just got ducks and was considering trying the ducks eggs to find out.(Epa pen in hand of course) he use to be VERY allergic to eggs,couldn't eat anything with eggs in it.Would have 105 temp,hives,weezing,everything.Now we have built his immune system up so he can eat anything but eggs by them self. He's also allergic to Soy Bean.My poor deprived child [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by