Egg allergy query

bramble16

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
Hi all,

Our two sussex crosses have been laying for about 2 months now and the novelty has yet to wear off! Consequently, we are eating more eggs than we probably should ( about 5 a week, poached or boiled) and also eating them on the day of lay or one day after.
We have always enjoyed too many eggs hence the desire for chooks in the first place. However, I have recently been getting a slight skin rash on my face - red, blotchy, dry and a little sore....this is entirely new. I have not changed face cream, make up, detergent etc etc and can not be sure what had caused this. A friend of mine who kept chooks as a child has told me that it may be that we are eating the eggs too quickly and that we should leave them for 48 hours or so before cooking. She thinks this is an egg allergy......a quick google search shows that this does exist but I can find nothing relating it to eggs that are very fresh.
Does anyone have a similar problem - any ideas? Is it better to leave eggs for a couple of days?
Any advice gratefully received - I am now not eating them at all to see what happens but am interested in polling all the fresh egg eaters on BYC to see if anyone has had similar issues....
Many thanks,
bramble16

I have not had an egg for 5 days and the skin rash has gone. Coincidence? Not sure! Will start to eat older eggs later this week and monitor the situation. It's quite interesting...I hope my friend is right as otherwise I have a bigger problem, obviously.

I will chime in on this one. I do not have an egg allergy but I have 2 customers that are allergic to chicken eggs and have switched to my duck eggs. There is something in chicken eggs that makes them react the same way that you did plus with additional symptoms. One lady was deadly sick and didn't realize it was because she was eating too many chicken eggs. Once the doctor targeted the problem, he suggested to her to eat duck eggs instead of chicken eggs. I wish that I had more information on the difference between eating chicken eggs and ducks eggs but I don't. And the strange thing is the ducks and chickens are fed the exact same feed, so it's not the feed or else my customers would be sick and have break outs and everything else.

Here is a link on BYC about this topic.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/385346/eating-duck-eggs-because-of-chicken-egg-allergies

Thanks guys. That us v helpful. I haven't got any food allergies and have been enjoying egg all my life. Our chooks free range all day around our garden in Sydney and are fed layer pellets. I am going to wait another day or so then start to eat the older eggs and will report back. I do not know where to source duck eggs from near me so shall research that and try them too. It sounds like my reaction is mild compared to others - still not totally convinced its eggs causing the issue and hoping to uncover a different cause! thanks again. Will update again with news in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom