Egg allergy... yeah.

Carolyn227

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
So about a month after we get our chickens, our daughter tests positive for an allergy of egg whites. Lovely. Anyone have layers and an egg allergy in the family? We just don't eat eggs much anymore due to the allergy. I sneak in my omelets at night after the kids are in bed. The hens aren't laying yet but will start probably within the next month or so.

That's awful! I've never heard of this allergy before.... Lots of others, but not this one.

Has she been tested for duck eggs. Many people allergic to chicken eggs are not allergic to duck eggs. They are really great for baking too. I would get her tested for it though.

One of our kids tested positive about a month after the girls started laying in earnest, we had eggs coming out our ears but then we found no reaction to cooked eggs, turkey eggs and duck eggs. I would try other breeds of fowl eggs to see if she continues to react (of course with Dr's permission) After a year of no chicken eggs they now can be eaten in small amounts without a problem, sometimes the body has to heal first.

Im allergic to eggs, but duck eggs I don't react to. Maybe you could look at alternatives like duck eggs
smile.png

I'd look into alternatives, but I honestly can do just fine without eggs, and I already have the hens. I'm not going to be able to keep ducks in my neighborhood. So I'll just have to keep sneaking in my omelets at night when the kiddos are asleep. Egg substitutions are generally pretty easy, so it's really no big deal, other than the fact that we got hens like a month before her allergy test was done.

I've heard that some who are allergic to eggs can eat "baked" (or cooked, I guess) eggs. I would ask the allergist about a baked egg challenge (but DO NOT do this at home on your own!). I go to a message board for people with food allergies (my daughter has peanut and tree nut allergies) and there's a ton of info and a whole forum for each type of allergy. Egg is one of the more common food allergies.

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/index.php

I'm sorry your family has to deal with this. I know first hand the stress of dealing with a food allergy and sadly the worst part is family who don't seem to get it.

Back
Top Bottom