Egg aprons

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickylou, Feb 2, 2009.

1. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Do you egg experienced chicken owners know of any egg aprons?

I have three girls (13, 6 and 3). They all want to collect eggs, and I was wondering about them starting on a winter project of making an egg collecting apron.

Is a basket better? What creates the least amount of loss when collecting?

I could have them do basket decorating instead.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance...[​IMG]

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

The only bad thing about collecting in pockets is if you lean down funny or bump into something you will have scrambled eggs in your pocket...lol. I have done this many times. We have a little picnic looking basket that my kids take out and collect eggs in. It is light enough for them, but carries a lot of eggs.

3. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, pocket scrambled eggs ain't pretty! Been there done that. I would go with a basket.

4. ntiveheart

ntiveheart Chillin' With My Peeps

i use a basket too.....one i saved from easter many moons ago lol.
    i DO use my tail tshirt sometimes, when i come across an unexpected cache of eggs, but mostly, it's my old standby basket.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    traditonally egg collection was done with a wire basket, lined with something soft like excelsior. Nowadays, foam rubber, an old towel, or anything else "cushiony" would work as well.

Then teach your youngsters to treat the eggs with delicate care, as they are Life itself.

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Baskets are really the best way to go with the young ones. Little pick nick baskets work very well.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. Baskets are the way to go. They could each decorate their basket.

8. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say baskets instead of a wearable egg collecting thingy...I came home from work one evening drove straight down to the barn instead of going up to the house to change...well I didn't have anything to put my eggs in except my pockets(I wear scrubs...LOTs of pockets there, lol) Needless to say, I was later standing at the kitchen sink and leaned a bit too far into the counter and CRACK...well, you know the rest of that story.... [​IMG]

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I found a wire egg basket (a real one, not a decorative imitation) at goodwill for $3. I just need to make a liner. They have all kinds of wicker baskets for cheap as well. I am sure you could find a different basket for each munchkin.

10. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    ......and don't ever put an egg in the same pocket as your cell phone!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by