Egg binding or parasites?

TWolfBC

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2015
I found a female chicken running around my neighborhood, and no one claimed it after a bout two months. She began laying eggs for about a month a few weeks after we found her, but now she sits in her laying box nearly every day, and hasn't laid eggs for around three days now. I know that Egg binding usually the chickens die within 48 hours, but its been very long and the remedies for egg binding didn't make any difference. I suspect she might die, but she's been fine for so long, maybe parasites or some other disease? Please help me soon I don't know what I can do, and I think Ive used anything that i know how to help her
Thank you

Maybe, but she's never sitting on anything, egg, golf ball, just sitting there. When I try to pick her up she flaps her wings and begins to crow for about 5 minutes

I am not sure if she definitely is broody but I have broodies that will sit on an empty nest.

One way to test if a hen is broody is to place an egg in front of her on the nest box; if she is broody she will usually tuck/roll it under herself.

Also, if she is having laying problems, she would display symptoms like a drooping tail, straining, walking funny, abnormal poops, general unwellness.

A broody hen can puff up and defend her nest and I had one that made similar noises to a peacock when she took a break from the nest.

Oh, I've never heard of a broody sitting on an empty nest, and I just tested that, and now she's sitting on a golf ball insistently and pecking my hand when i go near her. How can i stop or alteast speed up her broody-ness?

Hey TWolfBC I am definitely not ruling out an issue with her health, but, so far, she sounds broody to me and the pecking at your hand when you try to take her egg [golf ball] or go near her nest has just increased my suspicions.

Yep, as mentioned, by broodies will sit on an empty nest and I have heard of some broodies sitting on a rock in the hopes it will hatch
wink.png

You have two options here, give her some fertile eggs and let her be a mumma or break her from her broodiness.

Some chickens will give up on being broody on their own but this could take weeks and her condition could deteriorate because she only takes a break once or twice a day for something to eat or drink. Some broodies have been known to not give up and literally starve to death.

Also, the sooner you break her from her broodiness, the sooner she will go back to laying.

If you research breaking a broody, there are a few methods but I find the crate method works the best for me.

Basically, the broody is in a crate, raised slightly off the ground to allow air flow and cool those hormones down and cut off all chance of getting to or making a nest.

In the crate she has food, water and a roost, but nowhere to get comfortable as such. Some people leave their broody in the crate 24/7 but I usually just leave mine in there during the day then pop her on the roost with her flock mates overnight; ensuring I am up early and put her back in the crate before she can get to a nest in the morning.

Depending on the determination of the broody, she may need to be in the crate for anywhere from 2 to 4 or 5 days.

It is too late to weigh in on this chicken, but I wanted to suggest egg yolk peritonitis and urge confirmation from a qualified bird vet.
Egg binding is often suggested for similar symptoms, but it is far less common than egg yolk peritonitis.
I have a chicken in the hospital as we speak who has had 6 yolks removed, plus copious fluid, plus one yolk stuck in her oviduct. She had been misdiagnosed by myself from reading so much about egg binding, and she was further misdiagnosed from a vet who did not specialize in chickens. Finally after weeks of discomfort for her, she was properly diagnosed. It is best to catch it early. She may not make it, but at least she is finally getting the treatment (surgery) that may help her (it is not a guarantee).
Please read this: http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/
But more importantly get advice from a qualified vet.

Back
Top Bottom