Egg Binding - Please help. Have already been to Vet.

Yes, excess calories in the diet can cause reproductive issues. If you feel soft fatty tissue hanging below the vent behind the legs, you have yourself hen with a likely weight issue.

Thanks. I also considered the feed. It's a layer feed that I assume is well balanced as it states? We did not have oyster shell out for them to help themselves until a few weeks ago. It is of uniform particles. My guess is that we weren't giving them proper nutrition or there is a genetic disorder from the online breeder we got them from. Taking her to vet today. Thanks for your feedback!
Just went to take her to the vet and there were two eggs under her..she's still not coming out. Could she have a third?

Unlikely that there's a third egg. When two eggs are in the works at the same time, I've noticed the hen will appear to have residual contractions, making her think she has to lay another egg. Just leave her alone for another hour so she can relax and recover. She should then spring off the nest like she feels like whipping the world, she'll feel so much better.

Or, as @GMoody suggests, she could be broody, but you can easily verify that by checking her breast along the keel bone for missing feathers.

Unlikely that there's a third egg. When two eggs are in the works at the same time, I've noticed the hen will appear to have residual contractions, making her think she has to lay another egg. Just leave her alone for another hour so she can relax and recover. She should then spring off the nest like she feels like whipping the world, she'll feel so much better.

Or, as @GMoody suggests, she could be broody, but you can easily verify that by checking her breast along the keel bone for missing feathers.
Yep. Definitely some missing feathers. Thanks for your feedback!

Help!!! We have a hen that we thought was egg bound, I felt what I thought was an egg, we started with calcium and Epsom salt bath, we have tried everything we have read about and no egg. It's been 72 hrs. We started an antibiotic last night and today she is eating and she has continued pooping, but no egg. What is going on?!?

Back
Top Bottom