Egg Bound and Vent Gleet - Warning, vent pictures!

casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
Just found a 1.8kg hen with vent gleet that was staining to poop or pass an egg. Quick exam revealed a stuck, shelled egg. Treatment so far:

• 11:30 am - Gave 60ml Gatorade via tube
  • 12:00 pm - Gave 180mg calcium gluconate orally
  • 12:15 pm - Gave 0.9mg Meloxicam orally and started steam in bathroom.

12:25 pm - Wow, went to give another 60ml of fluids and she had passed her egg, but gave fluids anyway. In this case I think what helped her most was getting fluids and calcium. Meloxicam should help reduce any swelling. Now I need to figure out if the "gleet" is from parasite, bacteria or yeast.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Nice save! I'm always amazed at the extent of your knowledge & resourcefulness
woot.gif

I decided to leave her in the "steam room" and measure the heat and humidity. Though it had nothing to with the passing of this egg, the temp is 77 degrees f and the humidity is 86%. I have used this method before and it sure beats the heck out of bathing them. She just sat there in a sink on a towel in the warm, moist air.

-Kathy

Decided to de-worm her with Safeguard at 50mg/kg (0.23ml per pound) for five days. Also thinking about giving an antibiotic.

-Kathy

Definitely something going on in her... All poop are covered in mucus and have what people here call "shed intestinal lining". Also passing whole grains.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom