Egg bound? Broody? Something else?

campclaus

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 1, 2012
I have a hen who won't leave the nesting box. It has been about 4 or 5 days. I have checked her for an egg. I don't feel a bulge, I actually use Vaseline and checked internally, tried the warm water bath. When I make her come out she usually frantically eats and scratches the grass and lay down while she is eating. I gave her vitamins yesterday. She does puff up when I open the nesting box. She is not eating or drinking much cause she won't leave the box...
Any ought a?
Thanks

Does she puff up at you when you put your hand to her in the nest? maybes scream or peck at you?

she does puff up. i put my finger in the length of my finger. sorry for the gross description but it felt like i start to go into a new hole...

Are there any eggs under her at this time? If not , put some under her . She sounds broody to me as well. Is her chest area becoming bare of feathers? That is another indication of broodiness. You can also try sliding your hand under her back side of hand up and gently wiggle your fingers around under her chest. If she is broody she will wiggle around as if trying to cover chicks and fluff up.

If you want a broody hen and have the roosters for fertile eggs, go for it and let her do her thing. She will get off the nest when she needs food and water, no worries there. She will not starve herself if she is broody.. Best of luck... Steve

See if she has plucked out her chest feathers. Offer her an egg if she tries to grab it from you and tuck it beneath her, she is broody. If she pecks you or chirps and fluffs out her feathers at you as you go near her then she is broody.

Just to follow up, she was broody! We purchase fertilized eggs and now have 5 baby chicks!

Just to follow up, she was broody! We purchase fertilized eggs and now have 5 baby chicks!

Ah, so glad to see this. As I don't have a roo, my plan was to do the same and purchase fertilized eggs for any broody girls. Good to know that all went well. If I may ask, how many eggs did you purchase vs. how many hatched?

Back
Top Bottom