Egg bound chicken on her second egg, gets lighter everyday(update, infested)

choco_

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2022
My chicken has been bound with her second egg for about 2 to 3 days, she keeps getting lighter every time I pick her up, her crop seems full but when I touch it its firm and i dont feel any food? She seems so tired and breathes through her mouth, even sleeping while standing up, I think its cause of the egg, since shes young, but im getting really worried, any clues on what I could do?

Edit: it seems she's actually infested! With tiny litlle bugs i hadnt noticed since I didnt look too closely at her cloaca, and god i feel so bad for not noticing it before hand :( she is a pet chicken and i am very worried, I have never seen these bugs before (and i live with chickens since birth!) im thinking of a full bath and medicine

Last edited:
How old is she and how long has she been laying? Calcium citrate with vitamin D3 around 600 mg given orally daily for up to a week, can help increase muscle contraction to help pass the egg. Her digestion may have slowed due to her laying problems. Make sure that she is drinking fluids. Check her crop in early morning to see if her crop is emptying.

How old is she and how long has she been laying? Calcium citrate with vitamin D3 around 600 mg given orally daily for up to a week, can help increase muscle contraction to help pass the egg. Her digestion may have slowed due to her laying problems. Make sure that she is drinking fluids. Check her crop in early morning to see if her crop is emptying.
She is about 6-7 months, only laid one egg, her first, a few days ago, the problem is that she isnt trying to pass the egg, she hasn't tried even once

Just pop the calcium with d into her beak to swallow. Offer some fluids after. Some feed and farm stores carry calcium gluconate liquid and that can also be used, which may be better absorbed while she has a full firm crop. Crop massage downward several times a day, oral fluids, and chilled coconut oil cut into tiny pieces to offer her may help her crop empty.

Just pop the calcium with d into her beak to swallow. Offer some fluids after. Some feed and farm stores carry calcium gluconate liquid and that can also be used, which may be better absorbed while she has a full firm crop. Crop massage downward several times a day, oral fluids, and chilled coconut oil cut into tiny pieces to offer her may help her crop empty.
Ill try and give her some pieces of egg shells and do the massages, I have been giving her water with medicine for a while

Since you answered me ill give an update! It seems she isnt egg bound, or at least thats not the problem, she is, in fact, full of tiny litlle bugs, not chicken flea, I have seen that before, i have never seen these bugs, i hadn't looked at her cloaca too closely today or yesterday so I hadn't noticed it..but now her weakness and getting lighter even with a full crop makes sense, im thinking of a full bath to drown the bugs and medicine to kill them from inside

Back
Top Bottom