Egg bound duck? Please help!

lynchhomestead

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2022
My Khaki Campbell hen started acting very strange today. I found her this afternoon, huddled in one corner of the coop, apparently straining. I assumed she was egg bound, and soaked her bottom in warm water for about 10 minutes. I read you should give an egg bound hen calcium supplement, but I don't have any, so I offered her egg shell, but she didn't want any. I soaked her again, this time for about 15 minutes and tried messaging her vent; I could not feel an egg. She has been passing some green and white mucus like liquid. She also drank some of the water I bathed her in and then threw it up a few minutes later. I have bathed her a third time, this time with epsom salt water. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I don't know a lot about Ducks so will tag in @Miss Lydia @Quatie @shawluvsbirds

Is she prolapsing with the egg, or she just still acts like she needs to lay?
Calcium can help a lot of times when they are struggling with an egg. Do you have any Calcium supplements or TUMS on hand?
Ideally Calcium Glutonate or Calcium Citrate would be best, but TUMS will help in a pinch.
Calcium Glutonate dosing
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-bound-ducks-preliminary.959537/post-14940303
Calcium Citrate, give 1 tablet.

Soaking in epsom salts is fine as long as she's not too stressed. Alternatively you can place her in steamed up bathroom or if she's laying down/sitting a lot you can provide a heating pad for her to sit on, but she needs to be fit enough to move from the pad if she wishes.

Do you have a picture of what she is passing? It sounds like she is egg bound, but there could be more going on here. If you have the ability, you may want to consider a vet.

Usually when I give baths, I do it for an hour or more. Also, you can't always feel a stuck egg depending on where it is.

@Wyorp Rock is correct about the calcium. You can give her 500mgs of calcium carbonate (tums).

I don't know a lot about Ducks so will tag in @Miss Lydia @Quatie @shawluvsbirds

Is she prolapsing with the egg, or she just still acts like she needs to lay?
Calcium can help a lot of times when they are struggling with an egg. Do you have any Calcium supplements or TUMS on hand?
Ideally Calcium Glutonate or Calcium Citrate would be best, but TUMS will help in a pinch.
Calcium Glutonate dosing
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-bound-ducks-preliminary.959537/post-14940303
Calcium Citrate, give 1 tablet.

Soaking in epsom salts is fine as long as she's not too stressed. Alternatively you can place her in steamed up bathroom or if she's laying down/sitting a lot you can provide a heating pad for her to sit on, but she needs to be fit enough to move from the pad if she wishes.
My Khaki Campbell hen started acting very strange today. I found her this afternoon, huddled in one corner of the coop, apparently straining. I assumed she was egg bound, and soaked her bottom in warm water for about 10 minutes. I read you should give an egg bound hen calcium supplement, but I don't have any, so I offered her egg shell, but she didn't want any. I soaked her again, this time for about 15 minutes and tried messaging her vent; I could not feel an egg. She has been passing some green and white mucus like liquid. She also drank some of the water I bathed her in and then threw it up a few minutes later. I have bathed her a third time, this time with epsom salt water. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
@lynchhomestead how is your KC doing this morning?

If at all possible get the calcium gluconate it works the best when we have an egg-bound bird.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Unfortunately our beloved hen died last night. We are heartbroken. This has been a very important learning opportunity for us; thanks to your help, we now know what things to have on hand (calcium gluconate) and how to treat our hens if it ever happens again. We also have a better understanding of what to watch for... thanks everyone.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Unfortunately our beloved hen died last night. We are heartbroken. This has been a very important learning opportunity for us; thanks to your help, we now know what things to have on hand (calcium gluconate) and how to treat our hens if it ever happens again. We also have a better understanding of what to watch for... thanks everyone.
:hugsI'm sorry.

Sorry to hear about your girl.I too am new to fowl and absolutely love my ducks. I have a feeling losing one of them is going to be as bad as losing the dog.

Back
Top Bottom