Egg bound duck??!

duckduckgoose13

Chirping
Aug 8, 2020
Hello everyone! So I have two female Pekin ducks and today they laid their first egg! Well one of them did and I’m not sure which one...but I’m concerned because I’ve been reading the internet and read about being egg bound. I’m wondering if one of my girls is egg bound due to her little “belly pouch” or “egg pouch” I know that’s not how you can tell which one is laying but I read that egg bound ducks will have this and now I’m worried that she’s been egg bound for a while and her sister laid the egg? I mean she eats and drinks, she loves foraging for bugs and does everything the same as my other duck. She is a little on the heavy side and when I feel the pouch it’s soft and squishy so maybe she’s just like me and has a belly pouch? Please anything helps! I really love my girls.

Have a picture?

Expansion in the skin frequently occurs in the underside subsequent to laying due to the recent increased pressure inside the body. If the area feels soft, and as fat, that is further indicative that is the culprit.

Have a picture?

Expansion in the skin frequently occurs in the underside subsequent to laying due to the recent increased pressure inside the body. If the area feels soft, and as fat, that is further indicative that is the culprit.
So she is more likely to be the one who laid the egg? And I’ll get one tomorrow! It’s dark here right now

Thank you for the fast replies I really appreciate it. She has had this pouch for a while tho, even when she was just a little duckling she has always been quite larger compared to her sister so I’m thinking it’s just fat? Her sister doesn’t have a belly pouch at all.

Thank you for the fast replies I really appreciate it. She has had this pouch for a while tho, even when she was just a little duckling she has always been quite larger compared to her sister so I’m thinking it’s just fat? Her sister doesn’t have a belly pouch at all.

The amount in which the pouch is pronounced will vary with each duck and may come down to genetics in some scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom