Egg Bound Egg Embryo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by johninbulgaria, Feb 25, 2014.

1. johninbulgaria

johninbulgaria New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    Bulgaria.
    I have a query regarding an egg.
    Every day I pick up eggs from my hens and this particular egg was half the size of the others.
    Boiled it to eat and there was no yolk and I think a chick inside it, as there looked to be a recogniseable beak and other features. Like I said I collect the eggs every day when I see them laid. So is it possible for one of my hens to have passed an eggbound egg that has been stuck for enough time for the embryo to be that far formed? All the hens have been active and none looked to have any symptoms of being eggbound. Was definately fresh laid as was still warm when collected.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I imagine anything is possible but if the egg was half the size and had no yolk, I'm assuming it was a fart egg. They are eggs created without ovulation. I get them from time to time, sometimes as small as an acorn. It's possible some of the tissue in the reproductive tract sloughed off which generated the yolk-less egg and whatever you saw inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by