Hen_House04

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2023
I got home this evening and my chickens were acting fine, my Frannie girl ran into her nesting box while I was outside and looked eager to lay an egg. Laid for a while and nothing. I went back outside to collect eggs to find her under her house not wanting to move but bearing down. Yesterday she laid a squishy egg and I gave egg shells bc she will not eat oyster shells. I don’t know if they are too big and I need to order the fine powdery ones. Not sure. But, I picked her up and she was so calm and almost lethargic. I took her in because I knew she wasn’t acting right, thinking she was egg bound I put her in some warm water for a while and took her out and laid with her all night in a quiet dark room. She has pooped quite a few times and they have all been watery. She stood up like a penguin yesterday to lay and egg, but today she is just wanting to lay down and I can see her vent contract. I need help!!! Please tell me what I can do to help my girl! There isn’t a vet in town that will see chickens and I have the biggest fear of loosing her. Please help!!!

Attachments

• 2689F3FB-636B-47A7-8EA8-BF8A4FB1198E.jpeg
    2689F3FB-636B-47A7-8EA8-BF8A4FB1198E.jpeg
    511.4 KB · Views: 52
I use my own egg shells and turn them into powder with a coffee grinder. Give her a magnesium bath. Ratio I a 1 cup of plain epsom salt to one gallon of water also use organic coconut oil and put some into her vent. I also did apple juice a small ammount of magnesium and powdered eggshell via syringe (put small drops on the outside of her beak) it's important she stays warm. I used a space heater to warm the air around us and a heating pad

Get some calcium citrate +D (citracal or generic equivalent)and give her one a day (600-800 mg). That will help with contractions if she's having trouble expelling something. Soft shelled eggs are very hard to pass and make them feel really bad. If the first one was delayed she may have another right behind. I would continue the calcium until she lays normally. Try mixing your ground egg shells with the oyster shell. Some of them prefer egg shells, but that may not be enough calcium on it's own. I mix mine about 50/50 oystershell/eggshells.

Back
Top Bottom