Egg bound hen?? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CharlotteRenee, Jun 15, 2016.

1. CharlotteRenee

CharlotteRenee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    Hampden MA
    So we have this 1 year old splash Orpington hen and she seems like she may be egg bound... She has been in the nesting box A LOT recently and hasn't laid in a couple days... She hasn't had a problem with laying before, but I thought this might be from stress? Recently our black orp rooster has been mating with our girls and it seems to be taking a toll on them... We are trying to get rid of him asap... What should we do about our hen??? Please help! Oh and she also seems to be making quiet clucking noises...

2. CharlotteRenee

Mar 31, 2015
    Hampden MA
    She is also very fluffed up in the nesting box... [​IMG]

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Sounds like she is broody, not eggbound... she wants to hatch chicks, lol...

4. CharlotteRenee

Mar 31, 2015
    Hampden MA
    Do they not lay when they are broody?

5. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Nope, they stop laying to conserve energy since they eat and drink much less while sitting... if she hatches chicks, she won't start laying again until she 'weans' them... if you don't want her to try hatching any chicks, you can break her and she'll start laying again a few days later...

6. CharlotteRenee

Mar 31, 2015
    Hampden MA
    How do you break them?

7. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

There are several ways, I think if you put broody breaker in the search box you'll find more options.. but one way is to put them in a wire bottomed cage, elevated off the ground so air flows under their bottom with just food and water in it... some take a few days, some are much more stubborn...

8. CharlotteRenee

Mar 31, 2015
    Hampden MA
    Ok, thanks! And sorry about that!

9. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

You're welcome... no need to be sorry... :confused:

10. DinaSZ

DinaSZ New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    Fastest way to break her is to dip her in a cool bath to change her body temperature, she will immediately snap out of the broody state. Do not dip her head, you just need the breast and underside in the water, hold her there for a minute. Our girl rejoined the flock the same day and layed an egg 2 days later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by