Egg bound hen

Mkhobs

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2022
I’ve got an appx. 3-4 year old RIR hen that is egg-bound. She previously laid just fine along with her flock mates who are laying machines.

This flock came to me in January had been fine minus some re ordering of the pecking shenanigans. Becky, the one in question, has acted depressed and not laid in the last couple of weeks (maybe 3?). Seemingly eating/drinking okay. Slightly flopping comb, normal color. Getting picked up a bit but nothing major.

Found her yesterday, while the others where chowing down, laying down in the run and straining her abdomen (or pumping her vent? Not sure the correct expression). Not open mouth breathing. Walking normally, waddling a bit. Brought her in for some calcium and a epsom soak. Externally felt what seems to be an egg on her left side - correct spot? It has moved in several hours.

I’ve given her Nutri-drench, rooster booster in her water, and tums over the course of 12 hours. Picking up calcium w/D3 in the morning. She’s eating scratch but not much of her regular feed. Drinking some and getting fluids via syringe. Not much interest in greens or tuna.

What else can I do here? She’s set up inside in a warm spot. The back of her comb is slightly purple, she’s still straining and looks uncomfortable, yet responsive. Resting as it’s 11pm.

Can I over do it on the supplements or is it better to load her up? How much calcium should she have in a 12-24 hour period? Anything in particular to attempt to feed her? It’s been roughly 30 hours since I found her.

Back
Top Bottom