Egg bound hen??

STEPHANIELAUREN

♥ Hatchaholic ♥
13 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Fort Myers, Fl
Hi all, I have a speckled Sussex hen named Delilah who is a year and a half old now, I found her on the ground outside the coop yesterday unable to walk, I have had egg bound hens in the past but usually by the time I have found them this way they are too far gone and passed away regardless of what I did shortly after finding them. I suspect egg bound but I’m not sure if there is anything else I can do for her other than what I’ve done so far, I will answer the questions that I know will be asked and if anyone has any other ideas please let me know! Taking her to a vet is out of the question I just don’t have the funds right now.

My full size chickens are all free ranged we have about 5 acres, there is nothing that I can see that she could’ve possibly been poisoned with but it is southwest Florida and extremely hot right now.

I feed them a mix of Purina layer crumbles with purina layer pellets with omega-3 and Dumor five grain scratch mixed in. They have oyster shell as an option but none of them touch it because they free range so much they won’t go near the oyster shell.

With it being so hot lately I have been adding Hydro hen along with the poultry cell that I always have added to their water

She is not overweight they get a ton of exercise with full roam of the 5 acres.

When I found her she actually had food in her crop, and it was empty this morning so I don’t think sour or impacted crop

I immediately took her inside and soaked her in a warm Epson salt bath for about 20 minutes I did put a glove on with olive oil and stuck it up her vent and did not feel an egg, but I gave her a calcium tablet (400mg) which I dissolved in some water and gave her in an eyedropper and she drank all of it and at about 11 PM last night when I checked on her in her clothes basket that I have her in she had passed an egg and a bunch of runny poop.

This morning she still cannot stand up but she is very alert I have continued to give her the calcium water mixture I scrambled an egg for her and she ate the whole thing along with the egg shells from the egg and some layer crumbles and she has been drinking water today also.

She is not thin at all so I am hoping that I caught it soon enough she has not laid an egg today but I just don’t know what else I can do to help her…

I will try an epsom salt bath again tonight, there are no injuries I can see it’s just like she cannot stand in her own. I’ll the picture of the only poop she’s pooped today it smells awful worse than normal poop and is runny and yellow, also the white all over her beak is from the calcium tablet water.

Attachments

• 96ACFF0B-F223-41AE-83E0-9C7A2122B044.jpeg
    96ACFF0B-F223-41AE-83E0-9C7A2122B044.jpeg
    750.6 KB · Views: 16
  • FBB7A788-684E-4442-942B-3626218E4903.jpeg
    FBB7A788-684E-4442-942B-3626218E4903.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Sorry it took so long to get a reply!

You she laid an egg?
at about 11 PM last night when I checked on her in her clothes basket that I have her in she had passed an egg and a bunch of runny poop.

If she did, she's got something else going on. Is her crop emptying fully over night? Also, poop pi tires might be helpful.

Is it possible she's injured?

You she laid an egg?

If she did, she's got something else going on. Is her crop emptying fully over night? Also, poop pi tires might be helpful.

She laid an egg Monday night the day I first found her like this, not yesterday at all

Crop

You she laid an egg?

yes she laid an egg Monday night not yesterday at all.

She hasn’t pooped other than alittle but of super runny diarrhea in her butt feathers it just drips out like water I posted a picture of that but that is all she has done past when I found the egg covered in runny poop I thought the diarrhea might have been from her drinking the epsom salt water the first night before I realized.

I just checked this morning she does have some food still in her crop from yesterday it feels hard and lumpy, impacted maybe? I don’t think I have any coconut oil would olive oil work if it is impacted? And would an impacted crop cause her to not be able to walk, she can flap her wings and move her legs slightly but she can’t put any weight or stand up on her legs.

I can’t see any injuries so if there are any if would be internal but she’s very alert, eating and drinking and doesn’t seem to be in any pain although I know chickens hide that well

You might need to treat the crop issue first, but crop issues can be a symptom of something insidious like peritonitis or cancer.

Were the contents of her crop hard or squishy? Hard = possible impaction. Squishy = sour crop.

Back
Top Bottom