Egg bound hen

Crystal Chicken

Chirping
Mar 29, 2023
Ontario, Canada
My girl is I a really bad way.

I can feel an egg but there seems to be tissue in the way of it coming out. Almost like it's trying to come out before it's made it's way through the canal all the way.

Anything I can do?

She's had a bath, I've tried to give her stuff by mouth but she refuses to swallow.

Help please!

So sorry about your hen!
Could you get a picture of her vent? It sounds like the tissue could be a prolapse, caused by the stuck egg. Make sure to keep any exposed tissue moist with a cream or honey.
Get some calcium citrate with D3 in it that has at least 500mg of calcium. Pop one tablet into her mouth once a day. That'll help her pass the egg.
Giving epsom salt soaks would help too.
You'll probably need to force food into her. You could try adding water to feed and make a mash. Add just enough water so you could "mold" the feed into balls, then put that into her mouth.

So sorry about your hen!
Could you get a picture of her vent? It sounds like the tissue could be a prolapse, caused by the stuck egg. Make sure to keep any exposed tissue moist with a cream or honey.
Get some calcium citrate with D3 in it that has at least 500mg of calcium. Pop one tablet into her mouth once a day. That'll help her pass the egg.
Giving epsom salt soaks would help too.
You'll probably need to force food into her. You could try adding water to feed and make a mash. Add just enough water so you could "mold" the feed into balls, then put that into her mouth.
I appreciate the reply. It doesn't seem like it was a simple egg bound scenario.

Nvm she passed very quickly.. what is the condition where their egg gets tucked up into their intestine? I wonder if that's what happened?
I appreciate the reply. It doesn't seem like it was a simple egg bound scenario.
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this. :hugs

Maybe you're thinking of some reproductive illness? Such as salpingitis or egg yolk peritonitis?

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this. :hugs

Maybe you're thinking of some reproductive illness? Such as salpingitis or egg yolk peritonitis?
I'm not sure. I just know her egg was at her vent but it wasn't through her oviduct or something because I couldnt touch the egg directly there were layers and folds of tissue between the egg and my fingers. Maybe she wasn't egg bound and she would have laid that egg tomorrow, but it was just weird because she became so unwell so quickly and was eating and doing normal stuff all day. My husband noted in hindsight she did seem a little off to him but still ran to the other chickens when he tossed them food so didn't think anything of it.

I'm not sure. I just know her egg was at her vent but it wasn't through her oviduct or something because I couldnt touch the egg directly there were layers and folds of tissue between the egg and my fingers. Maybe she wasn't egg bound and she would have laid that egg tomorrow, but it was just weird because she became so unwell so quickly and was eating and doing normal stuff all day. My husband noted in hindsight she did seem a little off to him but still ran to the other chickens when he tossed them food so didn't think anything of it.
If you're sure there was an egg, she probably was egg bound. Hens can only survive so long with a stuck egg. Trouble with eggs can definitely cause much lethargic behavior, and quickly too. The egg may have not been too close to the vent, so that could have been why there was tissue in between. Or like I mentioned she could have had a prolapse.

Back
Top Bottom