Egg Bound Hen

SunnysMama

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
SE Idaho
We just had to cull a hen this morning because of her being egg bound and tonight I have another one. She just started acting strange tonight and when I picked her up I can feel 2 very hard lumps in her abdomen. What do I do or is it even possible to get them to pass 2 eggs? I currently have her in a very hot bath. Why is this happening? Both of the hens are RIR's.

They have continuous oyster shell and are also fed a layers crumble.

Thanks for any help!

So if I can't see or feel the egg near the vent is it possible that she is an internal layer? I had another of my RIR's do this same thing earlier this spring but I couldn't get her to pass it so I just put her back out into the coop after a couple of days because I figured that she would more than likely die but now she is fine. What could cause this???

So if I can't see or feel the egg near the vent is it possible that she is an internal layer? I had another of my RIR's do this same thing earlier this spring but I couldn't get her to pass it so I just put her back out into the coop after a couple of days because I figured that she would more than likely die but now she is fine. What could cause this???

Keep doing the warm water soaks,keep her somewhere dark and quiet,you can give her a calcium tablet or tums tablet this may help pass egg.

We just had to cull a hen this morning because of her being egg bound and tonight I have another one. She just started acting strange tonight and when I picked her up I can feel 2 very hard lumps in her abdomen. What do I do or is it even possible to get them to pass 2 eggs? I currently have her in a very hot bath. Why is this happening? Both of the hens are RIR's.

They have continuous oyster shell and are also fed a layers crumble.

Thanks for any help!

Give a human calcium pill to help her pass the eggs, liquid would be even better if you have it.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Give her some warm water baths to help pass the egg/eggs. As other have advised already, giving some calcium will also help her. Keep her away from other chickens, and in the dark. This will help her stop laying eggs until she can pass the stuck ones.

Back
Top Bottom