Egg Bound, maybe? - deteriorating quickly!

Thanks...I know its just a part of owning chickens, but I didn't realize I had gotten so attached.

I am going to order some solution on line - went to the feed store and pharmacy this morning and couldn't find it at either.

Best,

Michelle

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of your help. I tried the warm bath a few times and also tried to see if I could remove anything manually, but couldn't find anything despite multiple efforts. I think she was already too weak to push when I found her despite hydrating her and keeping her inside. She managed to make it until 7:15 this morning, but died en route to the pet and bird hospital. I'm going to keep an eye on the others, just in case it wasn't egg binding. She was the talkiest lil thing, my Hortie, and it sure is quiet in my coop this morning. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Michelle
I am so sorry, you tried and so did she.
Mary Grace.

Does anyone know about cockatiels? my 4 year old female with her mate also 4 had there first eggs. And she layed 3. This mourning when she was supposed to lay 4 she didn't so I assumed that she was done and ready to brood. But she iss still bloaded down under her vent area and im worried that she might be egg bound. So is it alright to still be bloaded after all eggs are laid? please help!

Does anyone know about cockatiels? my 4 year old female with her mate also 4 had there first eggs. And she layed 3. This mourning when she was supposed to lay 4 she didn't so I assumed that she was done and ready to brood. But she iss still bloaded down under her vent area and im worried that she might be egg bound. So is it alright to still be bloaded after all eggs are laid? please help!
If I were you I would go to Tractor Supply and get some calcium gluconate for her. It's a huge bottle of liquid calcium and costs about $7. You'll find it in the cattle section. Do you have a kitchen scale that you can weigh her on? Let me know how much she weighs and I'll figure out a dose for her.

-Kathy

I brought her to the vet today. Yes she was egg bound and she took her in the back room for a ex-ray and she laid it while getting the ex-ray. I was so relieved because of how serious it is! The vet and I talked a Bit about her she's a cinnamon and very lovey she gives kisses. And she gave me some (Calcium Glubionate) well bought. To give it orally to her twice a day for a month. When I took he there the male wouldn't sit on the eggs without her presence so I got the ol' incubator out and put them in there for 4hours.Thankfully I candeled them and all there hearts are pumping! So thank you for telling me about the calcium I picked some up at fleet farm today and I weighed her on our gram scale. Thanks so much!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom