Egg Bound. Not looking good. Advice.

Heihei1923

Chirping
Jun 29, 2020
Let the girls out yesterday. 1 didn’t leave the coop. Checked her out. She was walking with her tail down and ignoring food and water. No egg from her. I don’t have good experience w/ this but I felt what I think was an egg inside her.

I immediately gave her calcium citrate +d3. Probably around 400-500mg from what made it down her throat. It was late and raining so I didn’t want to soak her & stress her more.

Separated her, brought her in the house. This morning I gave her a hot bath w/ epsom salt and massaged her for 40 minutes. Gave her another 400mg of the calcium. Plus I’ve been syringing her water.

She just came out of bath. I went to check on her. She was in laying stance. Just checked. No egg. now she’s laying down looking tired.

Doesn’t seem like I have much time. Is there anything else I can do.

Some advice I got from the vet was to squirt about 5ml of oil in to her butt, you can do it a few times a day. Good luck with your girl.

I would not squirt anything inside the vent, since that can contaminate the oviduct with bacteria from the bowel. When has your hen last laid an egg? How old is she? Have you seen any soft or thin shelled eggs recently? She might have been laying internally and have an obstruction. But she could also be egg bound, so continue the calcium daily for a couple of days. Try to get her drinking fluids, and offer some moistened fee and egg. How does her crop feel? Check it again in early morning to see if it has emptied overnight. Is her lower belly between her legs enlarged or swollen?

I would not squirt anything inside the vent, since that can contaminate the oviduct with bacteria from the bowel. When has your hen last laid an egg? How old is she? Have you seen any soft or thin shelled eggs recently? She might have been laying internally and have an obstruction. But she could also be egg bound, so continue the calcium daily for a couple of days. Try to get her drinking fluids, and offer some moistened fee and egg. How does her crop feel? Check it again in early morning to see if it has emptied overnight. Is her lower belly between her legs enlarged or swollen?
Okay, I would say she last laid the day before yesterday. She’s 2.5 years old. I haven’t seen any soft or thin shells. However, there was a pale egg recently but I can’t remember if it could have been hers or not.

I’ll keep up w: fluids and calcium. Should I try bath again tonight or tomorrow? The way she looks I don’t think she’s going to even get that far. She’s so tired out of no where after the bath.

It can be dangerous to soak a weak struggling hen. I would place her in a warm humid environment to rest, possibly a bathroom with steam, or a towel on a heating pad on low. I hope that she makes it. Here is some info:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-egg-binding-causes-
Okay sounds good.

I really don’t know what to do right now. She’s so tired all of a sudden and I should be giving her water, but if she’s about to go I don’t want to keep bothering her. Uhg.

Back
Top Bottom