Egg bound not sure

Chicklady76

Chirping
Jun 23, 2020
Hello All

have a question I have a hen who has been pooping, she has eaten and drank also is walking normal but since yesterday afternoon she will go into box and strain to lay an egg I have given Epson salt bath lubed her vent as well has given calcium

Have you checked for an egg? You can lubricate a gloved finger and search her vent (just an inch or so). If she's bound, you'll be able to feel an egg pretty easily.

I have hens who "go through the motions" a few times before actually laying. I have one Cochin who lays very irregularly, but she'll go into the nest box daily and sing her egg song. I used to worry, but she's 3 years old now and has always been off.

Does she normally lay regularly? How old is she?

Have you checked for an egg? You can lubricate a gloved finger and search her vent (just an inch or so). If she's bound, you'll be able to feel an egg pretty easily.

I have hens who "go through the motions" a few times before actually laying. I have one Cochin who lays very irregularly, but she'll go into the nest box daily and sing her egg song. I used to worry, but she's 3 years old now and has always been off.

Does she normally lay regularly? How old is she?
She has been laying regularly for quite awhile now no problems till yesterday

If it were my girl, I'd check for an egg. Or I might wait and watch. She may be passing a large egg.

Does she seem distressed? Panting? Walking weirdly, like a penguin?
It’s strange she is walking normal she has eaten pooped but she continues to go in nesting box and strains I checked I don’t feel anything

Back
Top Bottom